Monday 8 October 2012

Employee Profiles at Double Negative

CAREER PROFILE - DIGITAL MATTE PAINTER

Ludovic Iochem

LUDOVIC IOCHEM

I'm Ludovic Iochem, a Digital Matte Painter Artist at Double Negative. My job is right in the middle between 2D and 3D. As a DMP artist, I create environments, mostly using photomanipulation techniques, and re-project them onto geometry to reshoot through a camera. I also do a lot of set extension, 2.5D environment and backgrounds.

How did you get into the business?

I went to university in France to get a degree in generic Computer Graphics. I learnt the basics of 2D, 3D and scripting, then spent the next few months practising photomanipulation and matte painting. After this, I joined a VFX company in France and started to do some matte painting for commercials. I then made the jump to feature films.

Is there anything you wish you had done before you joined the industry which would have better prepared you for your career in VFX for Film?

Yes, definitely! It would have been fantastic to a better understanding about all the different processes involved in creating a shot. VFX is not just about using software, we also have to really understand what needs to be done within the context of the film-making process, in order to make a decision on best approach. I really would have loved to have someone teach me this side of the work.

Is there any advice you would give to someone coming into the business?

Try to be clever. Don’t use the biggest tool, if you can get equally good and faster results with the smaller one. VFX is all about tips and tricks in the end. 

Any other comments you would like to make as potential Careers Advice?

Be curious, and try to stay tuned to the new techniques that are coming in. Our work is very fast-paced and new techniques are being developed all the time. You have to stay up to date! And keep in mind that we're very lucky to do this job, so try to have fun and enjoy it! 





CAREER PROFILE - ROTOSCOPE ARTIST

 
 
I'm Eleonor Lindvall, I am a rotoscope artist at Double Negative. My job is an entry level job within the industry on the 2D side of VFX. What rotoscope means is pretty much the same as masking. I draw a mask around a certain object so they can be seperated from the rest of the plate, in order to be able to put for example, computer generated elements can behind it.

How did you get into the business?
I went to a computer game design/development high school, back in Sweden, where I was taught basics of computer graphics. It made me realize I actually wanted to work with film, not games. Because of that I decided to study abroad in Vancouver, Canada, where I took Visual Effects for Film and TV at a school called VanArts. After graduation I got a job at Double Negative.

Is there anything you wish you had done before you joined the industry which would have better prepared you for your career in VFX for Film?
Not really, I think that because I was very focused and positive of what I wanted to do since a pretty young age, I made sure that I prepared myself the best possible way.

Is there any advice you would give to someone coming into the business?
Go to a school that will show you the whole spectrum of Visual Effects, and that will prepare you for the industry. I studied an intensive program for a year but I also have friends who went to University for four years and got a job as well, either way I think a good education is the best foundation you can have.

Any other comments you would like to make as potential Careers Advice?
Try to find something that you enjoy doing, and if you're not sure, pick what you like the most!




(Both employee profiles are copied from the Double Negative website, and the following is my own personal opinion)




These are two very different views on the VFX Industry from two different professions within Double Negative. The first from Ludovic Iochem spoke about how he got a degree in Computer Graphics but afterwards he realised he wanted to spend his time practicing photomanipulation and then enter the TV Industry (Commercials) and then into the VFX Industry. He also mentions how he would have loved to learn more about the VFX Industry before getting into it, and additionally he said to be curious and continuously learn the new techniques that are being made.

The second employee profile from Eleonor Lindvall is quite different as she knew what she wanted to be from a young age so took the correct way to get into the Industry (High School and University Course). Education wise, she says to go to a school that will show the whole spectrum of Visual Effects to prepare for the Industry and that a good education is the best foundation.

I greatly disagree with Eleonor Lindvall with the education part as education is one thing, but self taught passionate people are more likely to produce the best work and be hired over other people. I may be more likely to disagree as my University course is games related while I want to be in the Visual Effects Industry and have to self teach a lot of other software.

No comments:

Post a Comment