Saturday 10 November 2012

Be Unique

I've been trying to think of the best way to self promote myself and I must admit that it's very difficult to do that and be unique. The most important word there is to be unique and that was the final and 13th point I made in my Self Promotion blog post back in September.

I believe my business card looking like a playing card is quite unique in itself, but also interesting to look at and whilst looking at graduate showreels and even people in the industry, the showreels follow the same pattern:

  1. Name and Contact Details
  2. Best Work
  3. Second Best Work
  4. Alright Work (If they have any other work to show)
  5. Third Best Work
  6. Breakdowns
  7. Name and Contact Details
If I was an employer I'd be getting very bored of the same old showreels coming through the door, and something unique would be quite impressive.

The actual inspiration to this came while I was watching How I Met Your Mother (a popular TV series in both America and UK) and was the character Barney's video resume as shown below.


The video resume has a lot of humour in it, however, it is very different and unique, and I want to use that uniqueness to my advantage. Hence why over the coming days I will be storyboarding my showreel again but in a different manner to be unique.

You may be thinking that this is a completely stupid idea, however, there is a lot of rotoscoping and keying within the video and gives me a chance to show off my work in a different manner. I will try to storyboard all, or at least part of the showreel, and show it to Phil to get his opinion before starting it off completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment